Friday, November 12, 2010

The Pastor and the Gospel

While on vacation, I spent some time reading through the recently-published book in honor of John Piper, For the Fame of God's Name. I didn't get through all of it, but since it's a collection of essays, I leaped around to read the ones that were most appealing to me. In the weeks to come, I hope to read the rest.

In CJ Mahaney's chapter, The Pastor and the Trinity, Mahaney adapted his talk from the 2007 Sovereign Grace Leader's conference. As I've written about before, being in attendance for that talk was a key, defining moment in my ministry. So I was eager for the refresher in this chapter. Writing on 2 Corinthians 13:14, and Paul's prayer for the grace of the Lord Jesus to be with the Corinthians, I was struck especially by this:

Paul’s example reminds me that:
  • I must never assume the gospel.
  • I must never assume the church I serve sufficiently understands the gospel.
  • I must inform every aspect of pastoral ministry with the proclamation and celebration of the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ revealed in the gospel.
  • I must never teach on any topic without explaining how it relates to the gospel.
  • I must preach to reveal the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ.
  • I must counsel to impart the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ.
  • I must help those vulnerable to legalism and condemnation to experience the justifying grace of our Lord Jesus Christ.
  • I must help those fighting a besetting sin to experience the sanctifying grace of our Lord Jesus Christ.
  • I must help the suffering to experience the comforting grace of our Lord Jesus Christ.
  • I must help the weary to experience the sustaining grace of our Lord Jesus Christ.
  • I must help those who persist in disobedience to experience the convicting and cleansing grace of our Lord Jesus Christ.
I think I'm going to have those bullet points printed out and hung somewhere in prominent view.

1 comment:

  1. Steve,

    You've made your views known on this blog several times in the past. People can search the blog for C.J. Mahaney and read your concerns. So in the future I will be deleting your comments if they are to point us to the same websites you have already posted in the past.

    Larry

    ReplyDelete