Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Does God Delight in Non-Christian Art?

That is the title of this post from Tony Reinke. Given my frequent musings on Carter Beauford's drumming, Miles Davis' trumpet and DeSean Jackson's punt returns, you know I was intrigued.

I expected the answer to the question to be in the affirmative, and I was correct. Still, I appreciated the way Reinke handled the question. Here's a quote that I found particularly helpful:

"God is the most perfect lover of his image. The image resides within humanity in the substantial human soul. Accordingly, it coruscates [glitters] in culture in infinitely different ways. It is impossible that God should see such reflections of his glory and not find himself wrapped in cognitive delights. He thinks most highly of his own image. He delights in it most profoundly."

Those who wonder how their leisure can bring glory to God (and that should be all of us!) would, I think, be edified by this article.

2 comments:

  1. Larry,

    I think I see where you (and Reinke) are coming from, but I still am on the fence here a bit. Can we use the word "please?" There are things that are done in the world by non-Christians that "reflect" something about God Himself, but do they actually "please" Him?

    How do you explain it in light of Hebrews 11:6?

    "And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him."

    Let me know your thoughts.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent question, Rob. I'll take my stab at an answer tomorrow either in a comment here or in a new post.

    ReplyDelete