Monday, February 8, 2010

Carnival Mirrors and the Pursuit of Godliness

Paul Tripp, commenting on Hebrews 3:12-13:

The reality of spiritual blindness has important implications for the Christian community. The Hebrews passage clearly teaches that personal insight is the product of community. I need you in order to really see and know myself. Otherwise, I will listen to my own arguments, believe my own lies, and buy into my own delusions. My self-perception is as accurate as a carnival mirror. If I am going to see myself clearly, I need you to hold the mirror of God's Word in front of me.

This will probably be uncomfortable, so Tripp goes on to say:

I need to wake up in the morning and say, 'God, I am a person in desperate need of help. Please send helpers my way and give me the humility to receive the help you have provided.'

Let's wake up in the morning praying for God to make us people like this: knowing our own tendency to be blind to our flaws, and desiring others to help us see what we cannot currently see.

No comments:

Post a Comment