Friday, January 8, 2010

King of the Universe, or Cosmic Idiot

It's often said in secular circles that Jesus was a fine moral teacher, but it's nonsense to try to make Him out to be the Lord of the universe. This kind of thinking just won't work if we actually listen to what Jesus Himself said (all of these quotes are from John 8):

“I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

“You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world.
"

"I told you that you would die in your sins, for unless you believe that I am he you will die in your sins."

"If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here."


"Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death."

“Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.”

When the people listening to Jesus heard all this, they did not conclude that he was a good moral teacher. They picked up rocks and attempted to stone him to death.

CS Lewis was right; enough of this nonsense about Jesus being a good moral teacher. Either He is the Lord and King of the universe, or He's a complete idiot. There simply isn't a middle road. He's not left that option open to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment