Friday, August 14, 2009

Jesus speaks to Michael Vick haters

Reading the indignation of some of my facebook friends about the signing of Michael Vick has been interesting. I think if Jesus were among us, He might say something along these lines to those who think Michael Vick is a despicable person who doesn't deserve to ever touch a football again:

"Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’ But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted."

Yes, Michael Vick did something awful. I am not trying to minimize that in any way. But Jesus seems to suggest that there is more hope for Michael Vick than for the self-righteous who stick their noses up at people like Michael Vick.

Let's do well to give heed to the words of Jesus, friends. Perhaps the blurry guy to the right of Vick (Tony Dungy) has reached out to Vick because he's reflected long and hard on Jesus' parable. Therefore, knowing his own wickedness, Dungy refuses to condemn a person whose moral character is lacking.


Tony Dungy believes the Gospel; do we?

No comments:

Post a Comment