Thursday, June 25, 2009

Commending granola bars, and Christ

In the Lazarus home over the last few months, we've been enjoying Kellog's Fiber Plus granola bars. The other day I looked at the back of the box and read these words:

With every deliciously drizzled bite, you'll experience a scrumptious blend of chocolate chips and whole grains on a rich layer of chocolate.

As I read this, I thought to myself, 'That really sounds good!' Someone obviously took time and pondered how to make this granola bar sound as appetizing as possible. 'Deliciously drizzled...scrumptious...rich layer' This is a great use of language to whet the appetite of the customer for the product.

Now Jesus Christ is infinitely more than a product to be marketed. But as I thought about delicious drizzles and scrumptious blends of rich, layered chocolate, the thought hit me: if advertisers strive so diligently to use compelling language in sharing their product, how much more should we who proclaim Christ?

The Psalmist writes, 'Taste and see that the Lord is good' (Psalm 34:8). Evangelism is using words to display Jesus Christ as infinitely sweet to the tongue of the human soul. The sweetness of Jesus Christ infinitely surpasses that of a deliciously drizzled chocolate granola bar. But I wonder: are the marketers at Kellogs working harder to sell their granola bars than Christians are in commending the sweetness of Jesus?

As Christians, let's strive to use the most alluring words and images we can possibly find to display the greatness of our Redeemer. Certainly He is worthy of that kind of energy, isn't He?

(PS -- By writing this post, I may have just ensured myself a lifetime supply of Kellog's Fiber Plus bars, courtesy of my mother. Time will tell.)

No comments:

Post a Comment