Thursday, May 14, 2009

So the Government Can't Intrude in Private Family Matters?

A preface: President Barack Obama is quite a bit smarter than I am. Actually, a lot smarter.

Which makes this statement all the more baffling to me; on the 36th anniversary of the Roe v. Wade decision back in January, Obama said this of the Supreme Court's Decision:

“We are reminded that this decision not only protects women’s health and reproductive freedom, but stands for a broader principle: that government should not intrude on our most private family matters."

For the moment let's overlook the fact that abortion does not protect women's health; it destroys the health of 500,000 little women every year. Instead, consider the 'broad principle' that Obama says Roe v. Wade upholds.

If my 21 month-old daughter gets on my nerves tonight, I believe Obama's position is that the government can and should intrude on my right to throw my daughter in the dumpster and leave her for dead. It is a 'private family matter'. Yet the government intrudes on that right of mine, and I am sure glad they do.

Or what if a man chooses to sexually abuse his 3 year-old son every night before bed...isn't that a private family matter? Yes, but it's evil. And so the government rightly chooses to intrude upon a man's right to take part in that kind of wickedness, no matter how private it is.

I understand we live in a society in which my beliefs on abortion are in the minority. I do not regard supporters of abortion as my enemies, nor do I think they're any worse sinners than myself. After all, my Lord and King says that to be angry toward another person is to commit murder in my heart. So I do not regard myself as morally better than President Obama or a woman who killed her unborn child this morning. To condemn them would be to condemn myself. In the eyes of Jesus, I am am murderer. Who am I to condemn another murderer?

But I do wish that those whose views on this issue differed from mine would have the intellectual integrity to explain their convictions more compellingly than simply reciting tired cliches that even a journalism major from Penn State can see through.

Our government does not regard it a 'private family matter' to kill this:

So why is it a private family matter to kill this:

The top picture is my 7 month-old daughter, Felicity. The second picture is an 8 week-old baby in its mother's womb. The picture makes it pretty clear that the only thing that distinguishes my daughter from this fetus is time. So why is killing the baby in the second picture called a 'private family matter,' when killing the baby in the top picture is called 'murder'?

I don't want to demonize those who disagree with me about this; I just want an answer to that simple question.

No comments:

Post a Comment