Thursday, May 14, 2009

Even a roll of toilet paper can serve as an instrument of sanctification

Yesterday I observed that there was no more toilet paper in the office where I do most of my work. So this morning as I prepared to walk around the corner from my house to the office, I remembered I needed to bring some toilet paper.

Michelle told me to put it in a bag because it looks pretty darn foolish to see someone walking down the street holding a roll of toilet paper in his left hand. But I told her I wanted to carry it, as a way of reminding myself that my calling in this world is not to be 'cool'. If I structure my life so as to be thought cool in the eyes of everyone I encounter, it will be impossible to be faithful in my calling to be Christ's ambassador.

So I picked up my toilet paper and went on my way. It was only a four-minute walk, but it was a good reminder that being fashionable is not the most important thing in the world. It was a pretty trivial reminder, but I was grateful for it nevertheless.

Sorry, I had to break up the political stuff with a little humor...

2 comments:

  1. Just one question:

    Is your office IN a bathroom?

    Read the first few lines of the post again, and you'll see why I ask.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I hadn't thought about it that way, but I guess I do spend enough time in there to get some serious work done!

    ReplyDelete