Monday, May 25, 2009

Athletic Greatness is not True Greatness

Lebron James is the best basketball player in the world. It seems as though there is little dispute about that these days. His buzzer-beating, game-winning shot the other day was just the most recent demonstration of his remarkable skill (and of some pretty bad defense by Orlando).

Because I don't watch much NBA basketball anymore, I haven't seen James play a whole lot. Nevertheless, what I have seen is enough to convince me that he is a remarkable talent. Lebron James has great skill, but from the looks of things he still has a long way to go to obtain true greatness.

I say this because of the clip I seem to see over and over on the highlights of Cavs games, in which James takes some talcum powder into his hands and releases it into the air as part of his pregame ritual. Of course, I don't know Lebron and can only judge by appearances, but it appears that this pre-game ritual demonstrates an evident lack of humility.

Don't get me wrong; I understand that a little powder can help a ball-player get a better grip on the ball. And I understand that athletes have all kinds of strange pregame rituals. But every time I see Lebron James throwing his powder up in the air, I see a man desperately trying to call attention to himself. A simple pregame ritual turns into a public spectacle, just to get people to look at him.

Lebron James is an incredible talent. His athletic skills are extraordinary. But I wonder if James realizes that his talent does not originate with himself. To be sure, he has honed his skills with countless hours of practice, discipline, and hard work. But the talent itself is a gift. I could work every bit as hard as Lebron James and not come anywhere near the skill that he has. That is a witness that his skills were given to him by his Creator, and are thus a gift.

Lebron James' athtletic greatness is intended to call attention to his Maker, not himself. God is not as impressed with a buzzer-beating three-pointer as he is with genuine humility. It is the humble heart that embodies true greatness in God's sight. And so watching Lebron actually convicts me as well, because while I do not have his talents, I still find that same ugly pride residing in my own heart.

When I watch Lebron's powder display, I see a lack of humility. I see a lust for human glory and admiration. And I pray that Lebron would stop using his extraordinary gifts as a way of calling attention to himself, but rather to call attention to the greatness of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment