Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Tasty Encouragement

This quote from Jerry Bridges brought encouragement...and made me a little hungry:

While growing up in Texas, I enjoyed my mother's buttermilk biscuits made from scratch every morning for breakfast. But there was not a single ingredient in those biscuits that I would have enjoyed by itself. And even after they were mixed together, I would not have cared for the raw biscuit dough. Only after they were mixed together in the right proportions by my mother's skillful hands and then subjected to the fire of the oven were they ready to be enjoyed for breakfast.

The "things" of Romans 8:28 ("all things work together for good...") are like the ingredients of the biscuit dough. By themselves they are not tasteful to us; we shun them. And we certainly shun the heat of the oven. But when God in His infinite skill has blended them all together and cooked them properly in the oven of adversity, we shall one day say it is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment