Friday, October 16, 2009

When the sermon's drawing to a close

Over at the 9 Marks blog, there's a discussion going on about how to end sermons. I appreciate such a discussion, because I have found that conclusions to the sermon are one of the toughest aspects of preparing. And while I know there are not many of you reading this blog who preach, there are many of you who listen to preaching. So maybe it would be helpful to understand what's happening at the end of a sermon. It sounds to me like that's a really good plan.

When I read these words from Michael McKinley, I found a great "Amen!" stirring within my soul. I think he encapsulates well what I'm trying to do as the sermon draws toward its close:

All through the sermon, I find myself intentionally with-holding something great, some wonderful way that this text shows them what they have in Christ. I want the listener to feel the weight of what they've been called to and their hopelessness apart from Jesus... then I conclude by exalting Christ and the glories of his salvation. That sends them out with Christ in their nostrils and his praises on their lips That's the plan, at least.

It sounds to me like that's a really good plan. Exalt Jesus; you can never go wrong with that, can you? May it be, Lord, that people would leave Sunday's worship service with Christ in their nostrils, and His praises on their lips.


No comments:

Post a Comment