Monday, October 26, 2009

Lessons at Lunch

A guest post by Gerry Deloach:


Hi everybody in blogland. My name is Gerry and I have the privilege of writing a post for Larry while he is away. I am a Middle School Band Director. Part of my daily responsibilities as a part of the Middle School Faculty is lunch duty. This is the time of the day that I get to monitor 8th grade students while they eat their lunch. Today as I was walking around the cafeteria I thought about how thankful I am for God's saving grace and the fact that for those who are saved, God will never let us go:


"...neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.' Romans 8:38,39



What does this have to do with the cafeteria? Well as I walked around I thought, if the teachers were not in the room monitoring and basically guiding the students in the right behavior, these students eventually would turn into a mob and chaos would reign. Food would be on the floor, wrappers and trash would be everywhere, possible fights and theft of others lunches would probably be the norm.


This probably would not happen right away but over time without any type of restraint the inappropriate behavior would escalate. Far fetched? Maybe...maybe not. Apart from Christ we love sin. I am so thankful though that in our lives we will never be without that monitor. We will always have the Holy Spirit guiding and directing us, if we are believers. I am also thankful for the common grace that God has poured out to all people. This common grace allows a teacher to step out of the lunch room for a minute and not have a mob scene ensue.


I'm thankful for my lunch duty and God's common grace, saving grace, and never ending grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment