Saturday, October 10, 2009

Kindness & Calvinism go together (at least they should)

I have never been fond of the label Calvinist. I remember the first time I ever heard it, and I didn't like it then. I don't like it now. And I don't think I ever will like it. But that label is, more or less, an accurate description of my theological leanings.

With that said, I wish all...Calvinists (boy I don't like that word!) took these words from Abraham Piper to heart (I'm glad he took more than 22 words on this one). His conclusion:

"Paying attention to those who disagree with us and taking them seriously, even if we're pretty sure we'll still disagree, is part of what it means to be in the body of Christ. It's humbling; it sanctifies. It will make us better husbands and wives. It will make us better Christians, and maybe even better Calvinists."

1 comment:

  1. Larry,

    I agree. I hate that word; since I believe Calvinism best represents Biblical Christianity, I'll just call myself a Christian.
    I once heard someone say that "those who understand the doctrines of Grace should show the most Grace and be the most humble in sharing their convictions." Gene Cook, a Reformed Pastor whose podcast (The Narrow Mind) I listen to has said that all new Calvinists should be locked up for six months for the very reason that they don't understand how to share these truths with "gentleness and reverence".
    The more I understand that there was nothing I could do to save myself from my own sin and that there's nothing I can do to keep myself saved, the more humbled I am. However, I still have a long way to go--just ask my wife and friends! Every day I am more glad that salvation is not a work that I have to perform--again and again and again I would fail. What a great salvation we have in Christ Jesus! What a great savior!

    ReplyDelete