Monday, September 14, 2009

Unlikely Hero

Three years ago, I never could have imagined rooting for Pedro Martinez. But I'd have to say that last night's game against the Mets was an incredible performance by the future Hall of Famer.

I'd love to see the Phils sign him for next year too, but I wonder if his success this year will cause some other team to throw big money at him and make his stay in Philly short-lived.

But no need to sweat that right now. The real question is: can he close too?

4 comments:

  1. I could be wrong, but I think the Phils have his option to pick up for next season.

    And, just maybe, we'll see him close a playoff game or two. Somehow, I wouldn't be surprised.

    Jim W

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually think he is going to be in the rotation for the playoffs. By the way, he threw 130 pitches last night. That is solid!

    Me gusta Pedro!

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  3. If they don't find someone to close, they might not MAKE the playoffs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Jason, I agree that he will very likely be in the rotation for the playoffs, if he keeps pitching like this. But, even if in the rotation, I STILL wouldn't be surprised to see him come in and close at some point, in a pinch, on a few days' rest or something.
    Doesn't that sound just like Pedro? He kinda reminds me of Curt Schilling that way.

    I'll predict the old closer by committee for the playoffs -- Madson, Myers, and maybe Pedro thrown in there. Notice I left out Lidge. I love Lidge, but if he keeps this up, he might not be on the postseason roster.

    Jim W

    ReplyDelete