Thursday, September 10, 2009

Toffee Donuts and Sin's Great Lie

Did anyone else get a Dunkin' Donuts ad in the mail last week with this picture on the front?

We're big on Heath Bar at the Lazarus home, so when we saw this picture we were pretty fired up. The morning after we got the coupons, I went out to pick up one for me and one for Michelle.

Let's just say that when we opened up the bag and looked at the donuts, they didn't exactly look like the picture in the ad. Have you had that happen to you? The picture in the ad looks so good...but then you get the reality and it's a total letdown.

As I finished Michelle's donut (she didn't even want to waste her weight watchers points on it!), I thought to myself, 'What a parable of sin this donut is." Like the picture in the ad, sin beckons to us of the pleasure to be found in it. But when you indulge, you're always left unsatisfied.

So I finished my "toffee for your coffee" donut with increased gratitude to Jesus, who alone is able to break the power of sin's empty promises by filling me with a superior satisfaction in Him. He says what no donut-manufacturer can say:

"I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst." (John 6:35)

2 comments:

  1. So did it just not look as good as in the ad, or did it not taste as good as it looked?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say both.

    But I don't mean to hate on Dunkin' Donuts; they have many fine products!

    ReplyDelete