Tuesday, July 28, 2009

So I may be a TINY bit emergent....is that necessarily a bad thing?

Yesterday Challies posted a 'tortuously long sentence' from Kevin DeYoung describing the Emergent Church Movement. It is so tortuous that I won't bother to post it here; you can check out Challies' site if you want to read the whole thing.

As I read it, though, I noticed that a few of the characteristics of the Emergent Church also characterize me to some extent. For instance:

I do like and listen to some Of U2's music (though not in church)

I have read and enjoyed a book by N.T. Wright (though I didn't agree with the whole thing)


I think poverty, oppression and racism and AIDS are more pressing political issues than gay-marriage.


There have been a few services in our church where candles have been used.


I think that being the Church is more important than going to church (and I'm not discouraging anyone from going to church!)

It does bug me a bit when people talk about going to heaven instead of heaven coming to us (at least as our final, ultimate state)


So according to Kevin DeYoung, I'm a tiny bit emergent (though most of the stuff in his tortuously long sentence does not describe me).

My question is: is it a bad thing to be a little bit emergent? Is there any redeeming value to the emergent movement, or should the whole thing be dismissed without further thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment