Saturday, July 11, 2009

Cole Hamels and Jesus Christ

As Phillies fans know, Cole Hamels has had a very up and down year. This week summed up his season so far: a great outing on Tuesday night, followed by 5 runs allowed in the first two innings against a bad Pittsburgh team last night. Thankfully, the Phils bailed him out in the 9th with a great comeback win.

But it's hard to get frustrated with Hamels. Even if he was terrible for the rest of his career (which he won't be), what he did last October has made him a Phillies legend and fan-favorite. I'm glad to have him on my team, for sure. But as I watched the second inning last night I thought to myself, 'Man, this guy is inconsistent!'

And right at that moment, I found myself marveling at the greatness of Jesus Christ. Cole's greatness comes and goes, game by game it seems, even inning by inning. But Jesus Christ is infinitely great and admirable, every second of every day from all eternity:

'Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever' (Hebrews 13:8).

I have confidence that Cole will turn it around. But I have infinitely greater confidence in Jesus, who is a steady rock for His people each and every day: yesterday, today and forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment