Saturday, June 6, 2009

A lesson on hope, courtesy of Brad Lidge

As a Phillies fan, I'm getting a little tired of this picture: that's the face of Brad Lidge blowing yet another save.

Now I understand that Lidge went an unprecedented 48 for 48 in save opportunities last year, helping the Phils win the World Series for the first time since I was 3 years old. I wasn't expecting perfection this year. But I was expecting a little better than an ERA over 7.00 with 6 blown saves only two months into the season. After today's game, in which Lidge blew his second save in 18 hours, I was a bit irritated.

Actually, a lot irritated. Too irritated. This struck me for the first time a few weeks ago, after Lidge blew back to back saves against the Yankees. For about an hour after the game I was just in a funk. And by God's grace it dawned on me that this is the dumbest thing in the world to get bent out of shape about.

In the grand scheme of things, what is the point of getting so worked up about a ball game? Can a Phillies victory give me lasting rest of soul? Obviously not, since they just won the World Series 7 months ago and I'm still ticked off when they lose a game they ought to have won.

After the Yankees debacle a few weeks ago, the Lord brought to my attention this passage in Psalm 4:8,

In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.

The word translated peace is the Hebrew word shalom, which I've written on before. Real peace -- perfect harmony with God, self, other people and the created world -- is found only in knowing that God alone is my security and safety. He is the only source of abiding hope. And that hope was purchased at the cost of the life of the Son of God. I am more wicked than I ever dared imagine, yet more loved than I ever dared hope. That is reason to lie down and sleep well at night, whether the Phils have won or lost. This knowledge (not just in the head, but in the depth of the soul) makes a blown save seem like what it really is: insignificant.

So starting tonight, I've resolved to begin and end every Phillies game I tune into with a brief prayer, in which I meditate on Psalm 4:8 and preach to myself that true peace is found not in the result of this game, but in the surpassing greatness of Jesus Christ.

Brad, thanks for being an instrument through which God has reminded me that my salvation is not found in a sporting event, but in Christ.

Now go out and actually close one out next time they hand you the ball, ok?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks!

    I had another opportunity last night to meditate on Psalm 4, after the Phils blew a chance to beat Johan and the Mets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post Larry. I need to apply Ps 4:8 to more areas of my life than the Phillies! :)

    Great game last night regardless of the loss. It was nice to see the bats come alive!

    ReplyDelete