Monday, June 22, 2009

King Herod and Dave Matthews

Preaching on King Herod yesterday also made me think of my old friend Dave Matthews (it's been a couple of weeks since I last mentioned him in a post, right?)

On the band's latest CD, Matthews sings these lyrics in one of the songs:

I'm not all bad, but I'm a faithful sinner
I might get lost, but I'll be home for dinner

If God don't like me, he can send me to hell


O Dave, please reconsider. Even the breath in your lungs that you use to sing these words are a gift of God's mercy to you. But one day, that mercy and patience will expire. And on that day, you will not be glad to have God send you to hell.

Perhaps I should be encouraged that on the same CD, Matthews sings,

Baby when I get home
Help me pick up the pieces

You can hammer in the final nail

I wanna believe in Jesus


I will keep praying for you, Dave, that you would finally lay down your rebellion and truly believe in Jesus, who is mighty to save hell-bound sinners like you and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment