Friday, June 12, 2009

Agur's world, and ours

This morning I read Proverbs 30, which is titled, 'The words of Agur son of Jakeh.'

There are a lot of metaphors and images in this chapter, and I can't say I understood them all. But what really stood out to me was how so many different aspects of life attract Agur's thought and reflection. In this one chapter, he gleans insight from an eagle in the sky, a ship on high seas, a man with a virgin, ants, rock badgers, locusts, lizards, strutting roosters and a bloody nose. Apparently, he sees all of life as having the potential to teach him spiritual lessons.

This attitude toward the world is one thing that motivates me to write on this blog. In the last few months, I've written about Miles Davis, abortion, Dave Matthews, LeBron James, Brad Lidge, Coldstone Creamery, marriage, John and Kate Plus 8, Elephants and dogs, politics, death, toilet paper, rainy days, The Iron Giant, mowing grass, Michael Phelps' bong, Penn State basketball and Barbie.

I write about these things not because I think Jesus and the Bible are boring (I try to do my share of posting on these things too), but because I am really trying hard to live the way Agur models for us: thinking carefully about all of life with a God-centered perspective.

God created the world to display who He is and what He's like, and we do well to contemplate all things (even bloody noses and toilet paper!) in view of His glory and grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment